Mandrake 7.2 / Matrox G400 / XFree86 3.3.6 default drivers / Loki Games

A place for tutorials and helpful resources
matt
Site Admin

Mandrake 7.2 / Matrox G400 / XFree86 3.3.6 default drivers / Loki Games

Post by matt »

I recently set up a Dell Dimension 8100 from Jan 2001 with a box copy of Mandrake 7.2 Complete from Jan 2001. I am using the Matrox G400 with default XFree86 drivers for version 3.3.6. These are some notes about the experience and gaming on this graphics card is amazing!

This is copied from my post on Phoronix.com

https://www.phoronix.com/forums/forum/h ... a-tnt2-m64
It has 3D acceleration in XFree86 3.3.6 out of the box. However, I did have some issues on setup. And the details are as follows.

On last part of install it will auto detect hardware and launch X with a rainbow background and a dialog asking "is this correct". It's best to answer "no" so that you can select the proper card. I am using an OEM G4+ rather than a G400 and I am guessing this is why it's not detected properly? But, it's always best to check as the auto detect doesn't always work.

I did have to edit my XF86config-4 and comment out the font path before X would start, not sure why. Anyway it's soon to be replaced by XF86Config in the following steps.

For whatever reason Mandrake installs XFree86 4.0.1 with 2D only support by default. Going into DrakConf (K menu - Configuration - Other) and selecting "Graphics Configuration" it will prompt you to use 3.3.6 XFree86 for 3D acceleration. After following a few more prompts it will save your new selection. Just log out of X and log back into a new session. It's working nicely. About to test more games than just Tux Racer. But Tux was really racing!

Finally I can actually game on Mandrake 7.2! It's like it's 2001 again over here and it's fantastic.

I remember back when I purchased Corel Linux at Staples and I played those Loki demos over and over and over. Now I can actually play the rest of the games on a proper setup!

And I gave up on trying to get any Nvidia cards going on this box, but they all worked without issue on newer kernels with this hardware (Dell Diminsion 8100 LE).

All cards tested,
Nvidia GeForce 2 MX, ATI Rage 128 Ultra, Matrox G450/G45+, Matrox G400, Nvidia Riva TNT2 M64. I also have a GeForce 2 MX 400 on the way but that will have to go to another machine. I've also got another machine ready to go for lan gaming, not internet connected. But it's a Dell Dimension 1100 with the Matrox G450 running Mandriva 2007.1 Free. Works like a boss as well.